I remember the first time a friend of mine suggested that I look at putting my daughter in a group home. My gut reaction was anger. How could she even say that? I would never abandon my daughter! (because that’s what it felt like to me.) Giving up on her and abandoning her. Of course I never said that to her and pretended like I thought it might be a plausible idea.
I can’t remember if at that point she was
already doing respite in a local group home, but if not she did start shortly
after that just to give me a break. She enjoyed going there because her best
friend also lived there. Although the transition of sleeping in a room that
wasn’t right across from mom was hard and sometimes they would let her sleep on
the couch so that staff was close by.
![]() |
| Chelsea nad her best friend |
A couple of months went
by and out of the blue I got a phone call telling me that there was a permanent
space for Chelsea if I wanted it. It literally took my breath away! I could
barely speak. My mind was a blur. I told them I would need time to process and
get back to them. The thing that made it even harder was the space she was
filling was the one made by her friend who had passed away. I thought, “there’s
just no way!” No way will she want to be in that home now. She will be far too
upset for this placement to work out.
The alternative to the group home was going to
be me running a program for her in a home that we would build. I would be
responsible for hiring, firing, payroll and everything else in between. Quite
honestly this seemed completely overwhelming. We agreed that we would take the space
being offered and give it a try. We would transition very slowly to see if she
would be comfortable there and see how things would work out.
The first time she
stayed for an extended period of one week I was so anxious because I imagined
her not sleeping much and asking nonstop when I would be coming to get her.
Then there’s that moment that you realize your “little girl” may finally be
gaining her independence.
All of the emotions that
can flood a mama’s heart in one moment, all at once. Shock, love, sadness,
anxiety, Joy …. And so much more!
When we got home after
the week away I get the phone call. Expecting to hear “You come pick me up?” I
hear, “I no go home.”
Say WHAT ??!!??
My response of course…
“OK!!!” ![]()
It hasn’t always been
like that day. There have been hard times on both mom and daughter. There have
been a lot of emotions, some resistance, some great times, and some not so
great, but she is doing so well in her home with her friends who she now calls
her “sisters”.
She
still comes home every weekend almost and midweek once for dinner, but life is
so much better in so many ways.
I’ll
share more about those “many ways” in a future blog. …. Stay tuned.


No comments:
Post a Comment